For as long as I can remember I have tried to get more vegetables into my diet but I just hadn’t been able to. . . until recently that is. By adding a few simple steps into my routine 75% of the food I eat per day is now vegetables.
The only way I could achieve this ratio is by making eating vegetables as simple as possible.
I cheat. A lot. Try these basic ideas to see if they work for you:
- Chop all the veggies you’ll need for the week at one time. That way when it comes to tossing a salad or sauteing for veggie hash you are already done. There are many veggies I don’t peel just wash really well like carrots. All the good for you minerals are in the peel. Don’t believe me? Google it!
- If you don’t like to chop (like me) buy the already chopped veggies at your grocery store. They cost a a bit more but is worth it to me as I find myself eating more veggies this way. The thought of having to chop vegetables will keep me from eating them. Nuf said!
- Vegetable hash is my go to side or main dish for almost every meal. I make this by sauteing some onions or shallots then adding what ever veggies I want. I’ll add some garlic and ginger and Bragg’s Aminos to taste. I will then throw this over some greens with some dressing. I add a protein on top and I’ve got a complete meal in a bowl (see photo). Sometimes I’ll add some gluten free noodles or quinoa into the mix too.
- Juicing: Chopping your veggies and cleaning your juicer every day is a pain. in. the. you guessed it! What I do to reduce chopping and cleaning is I make a big batch of juice that will last me a couple of days. The nay sayers will tell you that by not drinking your juice right away it will lose some of its nutrient value. Though this is true I say better some day old juice than no juice at all.
- Roasted veggies: One of my favorite foods is roasted veggies. I buy bags of frozen sweet potatoes and roast them in a 425 degree preheated oven, toss in olive oil and add some smoked salt. Roast for about 30 minutes and you have a delicious side veggie or toss them on to a salad. I have also added roasted veggies to stews and it is delish!
I hope you find these ideas helpful. To find out more about me click here.