Even my taste buds can’t wait for fall. I’ve been making this smoothie for the past couple of weeks now, and I just don’t get tired of pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices. I started using canned pumpkin in my smoothies because my stomach wasn’t digesting all the raw fruits and berries I had been using in my green smoothies. Don’t even get me started on how hard it was to digest the raw greens!
I like having something light for breakfast, and the convenience of a smoothie is so appealing that I had to come up with an alternative plan. Enter the Pumpkin Pie Spiced Smoothie.
2 Tbs. pumpkin seed powder (I use OMG brand because it is more finely ground than other brands). You can also use any protein powder you like.
1/2 c. organic pumpkin puree
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 c. organic coconut milk
1/2 c. flax milk or other milk alternative
10+ drops of vanilla flavored stevia
Notes: Try replacing the coconut milk with 1/2 avocado. You may have to add more liquid.
Mix all ingredients in blender and blend. Add more stevia to taste.
- Moringa Powder – high in antioxidants, protein, and vitamins, lowers blood sugar, reduce inflammation, and lower cholesterol.
- Powdered Kelp – Rich in minerals, a great source of iodine which is known to help the thyroid.
- Maca Root – Increases libido, boots energy, and endurance, reduces blood pressure, reduces menopause symptoms, improves memory.
- Spirulina – High in protein, lowers bad cholesterol, reduces blood pressure, helps with muscle strength and endurance.
- Ashwagandha – Improves under active thyroid, helps with adrenal fatigue, improves depression, balances blood sugar levels, increases stamina and endurance, helps increase muscles strength.
I have a hard time swallowing pills so I like to take my supplements in powder form. It’s easy to add them to a smoothie. I encourage you to do your research into each of the supplements before trying them. They may not be right for you. And, of course, consult your intuition and your physician before adding anything into your diet that may poorly interact with current medications.
Join me for my next Cooking with Della Workshop. Click here for more info.